School’s out Friday

You’re probably one of the nine and a half million people who’ve seen this parody of the BP Oil Spill disaster. I used it with my students this week (and yes, I muted the last words from ‘Kevin Costner’) and they found it very funny. But not only that, after watching it, they were able to articulate their understanding of the real life crisis that’s been unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico over the last three months. It was a great way of beginning a lesson with a giggle, but then moving into complex discussion and analysis of a world event. Thank goodness, news reports today indicate that their efforts to cap the leaking pipe have been successful (at this stage, anyway!).

Working with my students has helped lift the heavy feeling I was experiencing on Monday. First lesson of Year 9 saw one of my students begin the lesson saying very loudly and enthusiastically,

“Mrs. Luca. Great book!”

as she held aloft her copy of ‘The Running Man‘. Plenty of others then joined in to echo her sentiments. How wonderful to hear students say this was the best book they’d read that had been set as a class text. Better still, 90% of them had done as I asked and read it over the school holidays in preparation for this term’s unit of study in English. (The other 10% were well on their way to completion). If that doesn’t help lighten a teacher’s load, then I don’t know what does! I’m very lucky; I teach wonderful kids.

I’ve been on a bit of a health kick this week, so I actually feel pretty good heading into the weekend. Not a skerrick of chocolate or sliver of a potato chip have crossed my lips! Amazing, considering both are my worst vices. I even clocked up 3km on the treadmill tonight. I hope you’re feeling energised and can make the most of the the time we get for family and friends.

Have a great weekend. : )

6 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

6 responses to “School’s out Friday

  1. blackwatertown

    Sounds like there’s some imaginative teaching going on there.

  2. Kim

    Hi Jenny

    I love “The Running Man” too! Such a wealth of Young Adult literature for our students to read. We are fortunate to have so many wonderful Australian authors :)

    I have a fridge magnet that says “I only eat chocolate on the days ending in Y” and I wear a little badge on my lanyard that says “Chocolate IS the answer”. I figure a little bit of chocolate each day is okay…and necessary for my emotional health!!!

    Glad to hear your week ended on a more positive note. Mine was the same. So hopefully that means we’ll both turn up at school for another week!

    Enjoy the sun today…

    Kim :)

    • jennylu

      I’ve weakened a little this week Kim -the lure of chocolate is too strong. Just trying to keep the intake small!

  3. How great to hear you are feeling better and back on track for the term!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s